This lesson shows you how to transpose a chord chart and deal with the "Edit Chord Chart" area of an arrangement of a song.
Edit an Arrangement
From the main Songs tab, click the name of an arrangement.
(You can also click directly on a song name, but then you'll need to click on an arrangement tab from there.)
Edit Lyrics & Chords
Click the 'Lyrics & Chords' button in the Files section of a specific arrangement tab.
Enter or Paste Text
Add your text to the box on the left in 1 of 4 ways.
- Type it in from scratch
- Copy and Paste from another document. If you have previously made chord charts in Microsoft Word, for example, copy and paste them here so that Planning Center can transpose them for you.
- Import lyrics from SongSelect and then add in your own chords. If you've integrated with SongSelect, you'll have the option to import the lyrics from within the Options box here.
- Import a text chord chart from PraiseCharts that you can then customize. You'll have to purchase the text chart from PraiseCharts and import it from the arrangement page before you can see and edit it here.
- ChordPro. You can enter your chords inline with your lyrics by placing the chords in brackets as demonstrated in the verse. This is called ChordPro and ensures your chords always align perfectly with your lyrics even after you transpose or change fonts. The Original Key will determine how the chart will be transposed, and can be changed using the Original Key dropdown.
- Standard Chords. You can also place your chords on a separate line from the lyrics, like we did in the chorus. This is simpler, but if you change fonts, or change keys, chords can shift a little and not always stay aligned with the correct syllable.
- Preview. Either way, the live preview on the right will automatically refresh to show you exactly how your chord and lyrics will show up when you print or view in PCO Music Stand. Once you have everything looking how you'd like it, click the arrow button on the left to return to the arrangement page. To not constantly have your chart be refreshing on the right, while you're typing in your text, you can click the "Auto-Refresh" button and disable it.
- Transpose Preview. To preview a transposed version of your chord chart on the right, click the Key dropdown. You can also click "Download" to instantly save a PDF of that transposed chart.
- Saved File Types. To create PDFs for Number & Numeral Charts, or a separate PDF with just the lyrics, click the buttons in the upper right corner to enable those & then download them from the Arrangement page once you exit the editor page.
Above the editor is an options menu including buttons to insert page breaks, column breaks, and the code to help you remember how to bold or italicize words or phrases. It also has links to other pages where you can find other codes available, and a button to import lyrics from SongSelect by CCLI if your account is integrated.
Your changes are saved automatically as you type, so there's no need to click a SAVE button. If you make changes and decide you'd rather undo them all, you can choose "Revert All Changes" from the Options menu. That will undo all changes made since you first opened the editor.
Click "Format" to open the formatting toolbar. You can change your print settings by changing the "Page Settings" dropdown from "Default" to "Custom" and then setting your additional print options. When this is set to Default, it uses the default options for your account. Your Primary Account Administrator can change these default options from the PCO Settings tab on the Account Settings page.
Add Keys to Transpose
Click the back button in your browser, or the top left back arrow to return to the song arrangement page where you'll see your Planning Center Lyrics & Chord Charts with the rest of your files.
Once you've entered lyrics and chords, you'll see Lyrics, Number, and Numeral Charts as arrangement files, and regular chord charts and capo chord charts as key files. You can differentiate these special files by their icon, the music notes in a page.
When you add a new key, chord charts will automatically show for that key and any alternate capo keys you specify for that key.
If you would like to include notes in Chord Charts but not Lyric PDFs, or add line breaks to Projector Slides, or know how to use simple formatting, take a look at this lesson containing the special codes you can use. The "More Codes" button in the "Options" dropdown will also take you straight to the "Special Codes" article.