Add a one-time special service for events like Christmas or Easter. Services, Check-Ins, and Resources all allow you to create new special events or add the event to your existing plan, depending on what works best for you.
Planning Your Service
Before setting up a special service, first decide whether or not to create a plan within an existing Service Type or create a completely new Service Type.
Existing Service Type
Most of the time, you will want to create a plan within an existing Service Type. This includes when you want to:
- Add an extra time to your normal services time, like a Sunrise Easter service.
- Have your regular service at a different time, like a Christmas Eve service on Friday night instead of Sunday morning.
- Have a service any other time where your teams are mostly the same or are an extension of your regular service.
New Service Type
If your special service is more like a special event, create a new service type and set its frequency to none. For example:
- If you are doing a Christmas musical, a prayer night, or a night of worship where your teams are very different than your normal service.
- If you have multiple special event services per year and want to group them together more easily.
Special Service Best Practices
See the sections below for some tips on planning a special service in an existing Service Type.
- Copy a Special Service Plan: Use this If you had a special service plan already set up that's similar to the service that you want to create.
- Add or Change Times: If you want to create a completely new plan, change and add plan times. If you are going from one time to multiple times with some teams split between the times, you might want to Split Teams.
- Add and Archive Teams: If you have special teams that you only use once or twice a year, you can create them and then archive them when the service is over.
- Split Teams Across Multiple Times: You might need to add an extra time for a special service, but you want to use the same teams that you use for regular services. You can split a team to use across two different times and then unsplit it when the service is over.
- Schedule Without Assigning: Let's say you have additional people in your choir for a Christmas Eve service. You can schedule those people just for the Christmas Eve service without assigning them as a regular choir team member.
The times in each plan can be completely different from other plans in the same Service Type. So if your Christmas Eve service is on a Friday night and has its own rehearsals, delete all the other times from that one plan and add the correct times.
- Remove times that you don't need for your special service.
- Click on a time to edit the time.
- Add a new time.
Most of your teams should be the same, but if your special service needs additional teams (for example, an orchestra at a Christmas service), you can create a new team in your Service Type.
After the service is over, you can then archive the team, and when you want to use the orchestra again, you can restore the team.
You can also leave the team in your Service Type and just ignore it in future plans, since you only see teams that have people scheduled to them.
If you have regular services that happen at one time, but your special service has two or more service times, you can temporarily split your teams to schedule different people at each time.
This will allow you to see a list of your first service volunteers separately from your second service volunteers, even though they're still on the same team.
For example, if you usually have one team of ushers that you use for your weekly service, you can temporarily split the team so that you can assign team members to different special service times.
Time Preferences are used to permanently assign each person to the specific time they will be serving. For a one-time special service, permanent assignments aren't necessary.
After you check the box to convert your team to a Split Team, you might be asked to create Time Preferences. You can skip this step.
If you click Close without creating times, you will still be able to schedule people separately to any Service Times that exist within your special plan.
Once Split Teams are enabled, you can schedule people for separate service times. Once you schedule people for the first service time, you'll see a conflict if you try to schedule them for the second service.
Once your special service is over, you can unsplit the team by unchecking the box in the team settings.
You will not lose the history of your split team. If you go back into that special plan and click on any people, you can see which individual times they were assigned to.
If you re-split the team again in the future, the old plan will go back to how it looked when you originally set it up.
In your regular plans, it's best to assign people to a team before scheduling them. In a one-time service though, you can schedule people that don’t serve regularly without adding them as a team member.
For example, if you have an expanded choir for the Christmas Eve service, you might not have enough people on your regular choir team to fill all the positions.
Use the Schedule Any Person button to schedule additional people.
Now that you've got your special service planned out with people scheduled to it, make sure they know it's coming up by sending them an email!